Friday, November 23, 2018

Celebrating Failure

1) Tell us about a time this past semester that you failed -- whether in this class, or outside of this class. Don't spare any details! It'd be even better if there was something you tried several times this semester, and failed each time. 
This past semester I failed one of my financial accounting exams. I thought I had studied enough and knew the material fairly well, but when I got my exam score back, I was sadly mistaken.
2) Tell us what you learned from it. 
 I learned that I needed to do more practice exams. Although I understood the material, I didn’t know how it would be asked on the exam.
3) Reflect, in general, on what you think about failure. Failure is hard, isn't it? It's embarrassing, sure, but it also means that we have to change something about ourselves. Talk about how you handle failure (emotionally, behaviorally). Finally, talk about how this class has changed your perspective on failure -- are you more likely to take a risk now than you were just a few months ago?
I handle failure by finding ways to improve on it. Using the financial accounting exam as an example, I learned that I needed to devote more time each week to studying and learning the material, and also spend more time doing practice problems. In fact, I did this for the second exam and was able to get a really good grade on it.

This class has taught me that failure is okay, and might even be necessary in order to reach your goals. Failure doesn’t mean you should give up; it allows you to learn and work on your mistakes. You should never be afraid to take risks with fear of failure.  

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I also struggled this past summer in an accounting class at the beginning, so I really relate to your struggle that you went through. I think it is really important that you learned from your mistakes and made an effort to improve yourself. I agree that failure is definitely okay, and sometimes that is a hard conclusion to come to. I admire your ability to not allow the fear of failing hold you back at all. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julia, I also did my blogpost on how I did not do well in Financial Accounting. I think that as business students this is the most rigorous course and we sometimes believe we will fail even before putting in the effort which is something I have learned to adapt to. I think it is important to learn from your failures and grow from them, which it is clear that is what you did which is great. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete

Final Reflection

1) Looking back at my posts, I think finding a business idea to run with in the beginning was the hardest part for me. So many a...