You read about an entrepreneur:
I read about Ray Kroc,
the man who grew the McDonald’s brand to where it is today.
What surprised you the
most?
It was most surprising to me that Ray Kroc was already 52 years
old when he first started growing the McDonald’s franchise. It seems to me that
successful entrepreneur’s usually start their business journey at a much
younger age. In the book, he writes about how at the age of 52 he had diabetes,
arthritis, had lost his gall bladder and most of his thyroid gland, yet he was
still convinced that the best was yet to come. I found this to be surprising
yet inspiring.
What about the
entrepreneur did you most admire?
I admired the fact that he took risks during a time when many
people believed opportunity was dead in the United States. The McDonald’s
brothers weren’t interested in growing the company themselves, so Kroc took
over and transformed their local business into one of the largest franchises in
the world. He knew that if he put in the hard work he would be rewarded, which
he did and he was. Of course, luck helps, as well as being in the right place
at the right time, but the number one element to this success story was his
work ethic, an admirable trait.
What about the
entrepreneur did you least admire?
I least admired the way he treated the original McDonald’s
brothers, who had a local restaurant “The Big M” that they weren’t interested
in expanding. They sold out the company and McDonald’s name to Kroc. It seems that
Kroc didn’t respect the brothers since they didn’t have the same big vision as
he did; they were happy with what they had. He eventually ran the McDonald’s
brothers out of their local business when he opened a McDonald’s right across
them, and his response was, “I can’t feel charitable or forgiving toward the
McDonald’s brothers”. Kind of a jerk move.
Did the entrepreneur
encounter adversity and failure? If so, what did they do about it?
Kroc encountered a challenge when trying to make the perfect fry
for his first McDonald’s location, following the directions given by the
McDonald’s brothers themselves. He was extremely frustrated when he followed
the directions step by step and yet couldn’t get the fries to taste the same.
He eventually figured out that the problem was where he stored the potatoes;
they needed to be dried of their moisture when stored. Kroc devised a curing
system in order to do this. He then solved this issue and was able to make
great tasting fries.
2) What competencies did you notice that the entrepreneur
exhibited?
He was an extremely hard
worker his entire life, growing the McDonald’s business till the day he died,
and the business continued to grow there-after. He also showed great
leadership, revolutionizing an entire food industry all on his own. He sets an
example for others that it doesn’t matter at what age you decide to start a
business, you can be a teen, mid-thirties, or mid-fifties; anything is
possible. He also has a passion for perfecting details which is what made him
so successful.
3) Identify at least one part of the reading that was confusing
to you.
It was confusing to me
when Kroc talks about how an executive should be a person who “rarely makes
mistakes”. I don’t completely agree with this idea. I feel that it is
unavoidable to make mistakes; what is important is that you learn from these
mistakes. He does, though, admit to some mistakes of his own, such as putting a
pineapple slice on a bun.
Did you have any doubts
about starting up a franchise at the age of 52?
If there is anything you
could’ve changed about your business ventures, what would it be?
I am curious to know if
he had any doubts about starting a company that would be such a large commitment
at that age, considering he had other health concerns to worry about and was
probably slightly exhausted from all the other business ventures he had taken
up in his life time. I also wonder if he made any mistakes during his business
ventures that he had learned from and would prevent in the future.
5) For fun: what do you think the entrepreneur's opinion was of
hard work? Do you share that opinion?
I certainly believe that
Kroc’s opinion of hard work was that it is completely necessary in order to be
successful. The title of his book, “Grinding it out”, shares this opinion well.
You have to grind it out and work hard in order to achieve the things you want
to achieve. I completely agree with this opinion.
I enjoyed reading about your opinions towards Ray Kroc and the McDonald's company. I am also just as surprised as you to learn how Ray was at his prime in his 50s, which isn't typical. No one ever knows the perfect time as to when to start a business. The opportunity usually presents itself whether one sees it coming or not.
ReplyDeleteHi Julia! I personally had never heard of Ray Kroc ever in my life, so all of this was new information to me. I think it is incredible that Ray was 52 when starting his franchise. It is amazing to see someone take a risk and gain so much success later in life like that. I think you did a fantastic job of answering the questions, and I am happy that I now know more about him.
ReplyDeleteHello Julia, I also read about Ray Kroc, and we share similar opinions. I also disliked how he franchised a business that wasn't his, especially since the original owners had no interest in expanding their business. he took it into his own hands, and just took off with it. Even though he crossed these people, he did it in such a powerful fashion and such an old age.
ReplyDelete