Friday, September 21, 2018

Testing the Hypothesis, Part 1


The who: People in the United States where water quality is low  

The what: They have limited access to clean water because water filters in the home from a fridge, Brita, etc., are not strong enough to take all harmful chemicals out of the water.

The why: Increased pollution is causing these low levels of water quality.

Testing the who: People in other countries have this need as well.

Testing the what: Some areas in the United States have high enough water quality that this is not currently a need. At-home water filters do a good enough job of removing chemicals.

Testing the why: Most people will agree that poor water quality is a result of the great amounts of pollution in the United States.

Interview Questions:

Have you ever had trouble finding access to clean water?

What kind of areas do you think water contamination issues are the greatest?

Do you feel safe drinking water right straight from the tap?

Where does most of the water you consume come from? Water bottles? Tap water?

Why is water contamination an issue?

Why are people having a hard time solving this issue of clean?

Interview reflection:

What I’ve found from my interviews is that most people haven’t had issues accessing clean water in Florida, but when visiting/living in other states, it sometimes becomes an issue. In many of these other states, water straight from the tap can be unpleasant to drink, as it can have a chlorine taste and/or be contaminated. Measures must be taken to filter this water and even then, it may not completely take out all of the harmful chemicals in the water. Most of the people I interviewed believe that rural, low income areas are the most likely to have low quality water. Most people said they feel safe drinking water from their tap here in Gainesville, but try to drink filtered water and/or water bottles if it is available. Everyone seemed to agree that water contamination is an issue due to the great amounts of pollution in the United States, and that it is hard to solve this issue because it is hard to prevent this pollution from occurring.

3 comments:

  1. Hello! I loved this idea, considering that back home I live out in the woodsy areas at least 30 miles away from the town and the thought of drinking tap water was never even one that would cross our minds because of the quality. Now, living here in Gainesville, at first I was scared to drink the tap but it is actually not bad at all. I think that you have a possible opportunity especially for those living in rural areas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that is a really interesting opportunity. This is something that would definitely affect the world is a positive way. I personally have been blessed to not have to have issues accessing clean water. However, I think that it is important that you mention that other states do have this issue. This will be a very hard issues to solve, but if solved it would be life changing for people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a fantastic opportunity especially that you took a problem that is so real and want to find a solution for it. It is definitely a hard issue to solve, however I believe you can come up with a sound solution! The only critic I have us that for your interviews it said to conduct in person interviews rather than just stating questions and I think this would have helped your post so much.

    ReplyDelete

Final Reflection

1) Looking back at my posts, I think finding a business idea to run with in the beginning was the hardest part for me. So many a...